Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 3

Well, its time for a little more in depth post. I arrived in Spain two days ago around noon. My boys from Wales, Yellowboy and Marc picked me up at the airport with grins on their faces. I soon met my new home for the next 5 weeks....a silver delivery van

I'm a little nervous, because out of all the different folks I've talked to here, none of them seem to think me traveling with these boys is a good idea.....the typical reaction is a look of shock....turning to concern....usually ending with an offer of "you know, we have extra room in our house". I appreciate the concern but so far its been hilarious traveling with these guys.
We've been eating well, YB and Marc are good cooks, theres been lots of pasta and "egg betties" for breakfast. My bed is a thermarest on the floor of the van....marc and nathan are sleeping on a bunk above. Its a pretty good setup so far.

I've been out at Bakio 3 times so far. I think I mentioned this before but Bakio reminds me a lot of many of our home breaks on the east coast....steep and dumping shore break. I tend to really enjoy this kind of surf, though you can definitely get caught in the "break zone" and get a severe butt whipping. I've been splitting time between my trusty Cyclone "Patchy" and a Fusion 7.7 designed by yellowboy and produced by DB Exclusives. It is a really nice boat.



We're still practicing, the event starts with the opening ceremonies on friday, followed by the individual heats beginning on saturday.

Everyone is really nice here and its been good to catch up with old friends.

The town of Bakio is a really quiet little beach town, its a pretty nice place.

More soon,
jHo

4 comments:

SueBear said...

Wow! It looks really beautiful over there!

I think you'll be fine in the van! Why not? Fun and simple! You'll have a blast dude!

Pedro said...

You must must must enjoy a delicious meal of gooseneck barnacles.

CrunchLaney said...

The van and the scenery appear to be totally off the chain. Are egg betties the poor man's benedicts?

jHo said...

apparently its supposed to be egg "Butties" but these marble mouthed waleians pronounce it "betties" they are the choice of van dwelling welsh and american gypsies.

I will look out for gooseneck barnacles