Monday, October 29, 2007

Worlds are finished

Well, the Worlds are over. Here is how it finished up for me.
In the team event I finished with a first, 2 seconds, and a fourth, which I'm pretty stoked with.
My second Short boat heat of the team event went really well, I got a few nice cutbacks and some end moves, getting some long rides in the process. I got 2nd place behind Tom Finbow of Scotland, and managed to finish above Rusty Sage who went on to become the Mens Short Boat champion in the individual event. (He took his revenge on me later in the day by eliminating me from the Short boat individual class ;) )

In my second Long boat heat in the team event I surfed at the world famous surf break Mundaka. I was in the first heat and the conditions were closing out a bit. I got a long ride early on with some tail slashes and a barrel roll. Later in the heat I got some shorter rides on the steep, deep section, and managed to get a few more barrell rolls and karate chops. I was excited to finish 2nd behind the talented Darren Bason from England.....I love long boats.

I struggled in my individual Short Boat round 2 heat, I had some good rides, but I didn't get the best waves of the heat. I finished 4th in the heat and was eliminated by Rusty Sage and one of the Portugese paddlers. I wasn't too upset though, because I was happy with my perfromance in the Dbxclusive Fusion 7'7' which I'm now paddling.

Overall the World Championships was a really fun experience for me again. Though I didn't do as well in the indiviual event as I'd of liked, I surfed well in many of my heats and managed to do well for the team. I worked hard for the WSKA committee at the event, making heats, and helping make daily decisions about the event. Its a pain sometimes to do the behind the scenes work, but it is rewarding when you see people having fun at an event. Also, it gave me an excuse to spend more time with many of my friends from other countries. On that note I was so happy to spend time with my friends from Jersey, Stuart, Ailsa, Robert, Sammy, Lizzie, David, Tim, Chris, and the others. Stuart and I do a lot of work on the WSKA committee, and it i s a joy to work with him. The Jersey folks fed me dinner nearly every night, and I was really sad to have to say goodbye to them after the event was over.

The Mens finals were the last thing to happen at the event, and the conditions were beautiful. The sun was shining for the first time in days, and the surf was large and rolling at Bakio. It was thrilling to watch and I got some great video shots for the surf kayaking movie I'm making.

Thanks to all my friends and family and sponsors back home for their support. Please check back here to check up on the rest of my trip. Yellowboy, Marc, and myself head down to portugal next. I'll be here until the 20th of November.

Joey

4 comments:

aaron steevens said...

hey uncle Joey, its Aaron.
papa showed me your blog, i was just going to say that its pretty rad that you're living in a van in Spain for a month, and its awesome that you did so well in all of the events. good luck on the rest of your trip, and i will probably see you on Thanksgiving.

SueBear said...

Congrats dude! Have fun on the rest of your trip!

jHo said...

thanks aaron and sue, I appreciate the support, its been a fun trip so far

CrunchLaney said...

Congrats on the solid performance J-Ho. Traveling and surfing around Spain with two lunatics in a van has to beat the competition, though.